Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tongariro Crossing: Post Mortem

.The Tongariro Alpine Crossing was tagged as one of New Zealand's best day hike. A life changer even. While it wasn't as core-shaking as they made it out to be, it did change a few things in the way I perceived myself. Even though the hike was the main reason I made this trip, I was a bit apprehensive about doing it.  Though i knew deep in  my heart that I could finish it, I had my doubts as to whether I could do it on time. I've never climb anything, let alone that high and that long. But after finishing the trek in 6 hours in such bad weather condition, I felt pretty proud. I realised I should've had more faith in myself. I guess those 5 km runs i've been doing for the past 6 months, no matter how irregular, have not been for naught. I was stronger and fitter than i anticipated, and i could now face longer treks with more confidence. It was an exhilarating experience!

South Crater

That said, the second thing I realised is that while hiking in terrible weather made it more exciting, I wouldn't make it a habit. I fancy myself as a cowboy and not at all fussy (ok, maybe a little bit), but there is some level of comfort i prefer to keep. And by comfort i mean getting to enjoy the view and walking in a more favourable condition. In fact, mountain climbing is probably a hobby i would not pursue. True, I enjoyed myself immensely but after a while, the views look all the same to me. Not to say I wouldn't do it again, but there has to be something about the hike that piques my interest. Machu Picchu for example, or the Everest, or the Patagonia :)

On the other hand, there's something about conquering a mountain that makes me feel pretty darn proud of myself. And it feels good.

Read more about our Tongariro trek here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...